Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:45:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (81 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

yes, it appears that there is a way to participate just by email.  I dropped over to the site, dug up my username and address, and logged in.  A few keystrokes and I *think* I signed up for regular html email delivery in real time.  Its not live yet, but the "beta forum" has 8200 users, so I assume that is the one we will be moving into.  On the same page are 10-15 special interest forums that seem like they could be interesting.  I am a pretty heavy user of this listserv, and it would be easy to get grumpy about the transition, but it looks pretty easy to get up and running.

I really like listservs (more than blogs, twitter, etc) because they are intrinsically democratic and participatory.  I have participated in many listservs over the years.  Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, and various systems that create threaded forums online along with email delivery options have pretty much put listservs out of business.  It doesn't have to represent a major change in how one participates.

eric siegel

On Nov 15, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Christine Ruffo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Hi everyone. Good question, Dan! There is a "legacy" option in the new system that will allow you to participate solely via email.
> 
> Best,
> Christine
> 
> Christine Ruffo
> Research and Web Manager
> Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC)
> 818 Connecticut Avenue, NW
> 7th Floor
> Washington, DC 20006-2734
> Phone: (202) 783-7200 x125
> Fax: (202) 783-7207
> 
> IT'S NEVER TOO SOON TO THINK ABOUT ASTC 2014! Be part of the program for ASTC's 2014 Annual Conference, October 18-21, 2014 in Raleigh, North Carolina, hosted by the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Session proposals are due November 18. Submit your proposal at astc.confex.com/astc/2014/cfp.cgi, or for tips on making your proposal stand out, watch the webinar at vimeo.com/76647326. 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dan Zevin
> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:08 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: The ISEN-ASTC-L Listserv is Moving!
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Will we have to login to the ASTC community website each and every time we want to post to or read what's on the new General Forum list?  What I love about old-fashioned listservs is that I don't have to take numerous extra steps to participate and can keep working from my email account while I read and occasionally send out or respond to posts.  I guess I'm old fashioned too, and now like many other communities I've been part of before, I'll probably start to slowly fade away from this one as well, as there's not enough time in the day to stop what I'm doing and login to this, login to that.  But if there's the option to keep participating solely via email, please do tell!
> 
> Dan Zevin
> Center for Science Education
> UC Berkeley
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

-- 
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance 
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email 
without the consent of the sender.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2