ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:21:18 -0700

Colleagues,

I am by no means an academic on this subject, so I have hesitated
putting my foot in my mouth during the last week or two of this
discussion. However, let me open wide and proceed.

I've read a lot about the goals of the exhibit, the museum, the
designer, the educator or the funder through this thread, but no much
about the goals of the visitor. Do they fit in anywhere?

Certainly I have seen an exhibit 'improve' with the input of, and
participation by the visitor. And I'm not talking about having them
participate in 'formative evaluation.' What I mean is that, they have
used an exhibit in an unintended way, to investigate their own interests
or achieve their own goals, not necessarily those of the exhibit
designer, educator or museum. It seems there is some value in that as
well, which might be different than the original intention of the
exhibit, but no less important.

Joe R.

On 10/31/2011 11:23 AM, Terri McNichol wrote:

> Dear Barbara,
>
> I don't think the current discussion is a matter of disparaging the evaluation field but one of expanding on its value as a learning tool. There is a fascinating article today in the New York Times about the well-known neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga famous for split brain theory. His new book challenges what we thought we knew about brain in that there is an unity between the so-called ‘intelligent’ hemisphere and the ‘irrational’ hemisphere as well as other parts of the brain. After countless experiements and asking what he calls "the simple question" he conceded that after 25 years, he has re-set his question to acknowledge emergent properties of the brain. For example, “Like generosity and pettiness, like love and suspiciousness, responsibility is what he calls a “strongly emergent” property — a property that, though derived from biological mechanisms, is fundamentally distinct and obeys different laws, as do ice and water. ..‘I see Gazzaniga’s poi
nt, and it would indeed be easiest if we could ignore conclusions derived from brain science and psychology when it comes to legal issues,” said Ap Dijksterhuis, a psychologist at Radboud University Nijmegen, in the Netherlands, in an e-mail. However, I do not think we can do this forever, and at some point, some key legal concepts such as accountability or responsibility will have to be redefined.’ Until then, Dr. Gazzaniga’s advice is to look for them where they’ve always been: in the hearts and moral intuitions of human beings, in their laws and customs. And, it should be said, in their stories.”

--
Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com