ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:27:47 -0500

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Fred Stein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> institutions.

> .
> You can let them grow in a dry, dark place (like a desk drawer) a
> room temp for about a week and should get wonderfully nasty results!

Just be aware that some of those nasty results could be pathogenic and need
to be handled accordingly.  At the very least, you need a way to kill the
microbes before disposal (usually autoclaving - we have a helpful biologist
at a partner college who does that for our teacher programs).  The Intel
ISEF guidelines for environmental microbes might be helpful and are appended
below.

Dave Smith, Da Vinci Science Center

*I.  Unknowns obtained from the environment must be treated as follows: *

Studies involving unknown microorganisms present a challenge because the
presence, concentration and pathogenicity of possible agents are unknown. In
science fair projects these studies typically involve the collection and
culturing of microorganisms from the environment (e.g. soil, household
surfaces, skin, etc.)

1) Research with unknown microorganisms can be treated as a BSL-1 study
under the following conditions:

   1. Organism *is cultured *in a plastic Petri dish (or other standard
   non-breakable container) *and sealed *. Other acceptable containment
   includes petro film and doubled heavy-duty (2-ply) sealed bags.
   2. Experiment involves only procedures in which the Petri dish remains
   sealed throughout the experiment (i.e. counting presence of organisms
   or colonies).
   3. The sealed Petri dish is disposed of in the appropriate manner
   under the supervision of the teacher or Designated Supervisor.

*Not Allowed *: opening a culture for identification, sub-culturing or
isolation.

*II.  Bio Safety Level 1 microbes specifically listed below may be used as
long as all BSL-1 containment precautions are followed. *

   - *BSL-1 **risk group * contains biological agents that pose low risk
   to personnel and the environment. These agents are highly unlikely to cause
   disease in healthy laboratory workers, animals or plants. The agents require
   BioSafety Level 1 containment. Approved BSL-1 organisms are: *Aspergillus
   niger , Bacillus thuringiensis, Escherichia coli **strain K12,
   Lactobacillus acidophilus, Micrococcus **leuteus, Neurospora crassa,
   Pseudomonas fluorescens, **and Serratia marcescens *.
   - *BSL-1 **containment * is normally found in water-testing
   laboratories, in high schools, and in colleges teaching introductory
   microbiology classes. Work is done on an open bench or in a fume hood.
   Standard microbiological practices are used when working in the laboratory.
   Decontamination can be achieved by treating with chemical disinfectants or
   by steam autoclaving. Lab coats are required and gloves recommended. The
   laboratory work is supervised by an individual with general training in
   microbiology or a related science.

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center