ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 21:57:59 -0600

I agree that storytelling can be an effective approach to education but I'm
not sure if I'd want it to stand on its own. Inquiry-based learning seems to
surpass all other "best practices" in promoting a real understanding and
appreciation for subject matter. I believe it also promotes an excitement
about science and the necessary ingredients to foster lifelong learning.

I base a lot of the material I create on the methods outlined in this book:

Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A Guide for Teaching
and Learning
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0309064767/youngskeptics

Though the NSF has caved on several important subjects, like evolution.. and
even astrology, they do have several excellent resources.

In all of my experiences I have never witnessed as much success then with
inquiry-based learning. Putting the student in the position of
"investigator" allows some form of empowerment and by doing the work
themselves, they're far likelier to understand the subject matter. Sadly,
the school environment is moving further away from being able to practice
this method of teaching. The importance placed on test scores is seriously
damaging a student's grasp of knowledge, in my opinion. Also, with the
ever-expanding subject matter we want our children to understand, the
existing system simply doesn't provide the time to learn everything. The
curricula is so fast paced and constricted, and designed in such a
non-creative way that it promotes the idea that learning is boring and
difficult. It's almost as if the school system is set-up to steer people
away from education. This is why I think museums are far more important in
our societies. I gave up on working within formal education settings and
chose instead the "informal" education venues.

Unfortunately museums require a bigger budget to create exhibits based on
inquiry-based learning and exhibit developers must incorporate much more
design, skill and creativity. This is where I see an important intersection
between science and art. I do believe the greater degree of active learning
and the important role visuals play in exhibits still surpass the methods
used in schools to promote understanding. Perhaps a solution to advancing
further towards our goal is to have more educators on the floor, more
docents standing by particular exhibits engaging the public with dramatic
storytelling and providing material and supervision for people to interact
with the exhibits. I also think it important to consider adults equal to
children in their need for learning experiences and I think the material we
create for children is sufficient for adults as well.

Amanda