ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:57:41 -0500

Mr. Levad!

Yes!  I ran out of time to complete a session proposal along similar
lines: "Museums of the Past, Inspirations for the Future"...err...not
that title, but that's the gist.  And I've been kicking myself ever
since the deadline passed for not finding the time to build the
proposal.

I have not published yet, but have been doing grant-assisted travel
and research in the areas of "extra-cinematic" moving image, and "pre-
cinematic" exhibition styles, covering such mediums and histories as
magic lanterns and the great panorama rotundas of the 19th Century.
It's a rich subject, as I'm sure you know, and absolutely relevant to
our contemporary field on a number of levels.  In fact, my partner
and I have over the years created various artworks that allude to
these forms, including a video panorama project that will be
exhibited in West Texas and Los Angeles next year.  So, in addition
to my research, I am currently involved in a project that will marry
a historic exhibition form with 21st Century technology.

Drawing inspiration from these historic forms is part of the
foundation of my museum exhibit design philosophy, so for me this is
a very exciting topic, and I'd love to share some of my research with
the AAM crowd.

Happy to send you a bio or c.v. or whatever you'd like.
Also, I have contact info for a few other possible presenters.  We
could get in touch with the Denver Museum of Natural History (classic
diorama) and/or the Eastman House (Victorian Era photographic and
moving image display systems).

Let me know!  Glad to hear somebody got their proposal done on time!
--Jason

__
JasonJayStevens
JasonJayStevensStudio