ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
charles eldermire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:54:04 -0500

Hello-
I'm wondering what materials folks are making indoor interpretive signs out of at your institutions?  Any thoughts on which materials resist UV best?

Currently we have a series of heavily faded signs that were originally printed on a hard black plastic that appears laminated to a clear acrylic/plexi front.  We're considering reprinting them (for a variety of reasons besides the fading), and due to the high amount of natural sunlight in our public spaces (and despite the 97% UV filtering windows) we're considering the option of doing more temporary signage this time around with the idea that we'll have to reprint them in another five years.  By more temporary, I mean drymounting UV-resistant content to something like gatorboard and mounting it under UV-resistant matte plexi.

This would be significantly cheaper in the short run, but I'm willing to invest in something more longterm if it seems like it would work longer term, too...

Thanks for your input

charles.

Charles Eldermire
Public Education Outreach Associate
Manager, Sapsucker Woods & Johnson Visitors' Center
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 254-1131