ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Signe Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:59:23 -0500

Hi Alissa,

Every last Sunday at the MIT Museum, we do something called Family
Adventures in Science and Technology.  One month last year it fell on
Easter Sunday.  So off we went to a local distributor and got 30
dozen eggs.  Here's what we did:

Egg in a bottle (by the way you can get the egg out with vinegar and
baking soda but it does make a mess!)

We had an egg drop competition.

Egg throwing.  Throw an egg as hard as you can at a bed sheet or
large piece of cloth, that is hung very loosely.  The egg won't break

We had kids separate hard boiled from raw eggs by spinning them.

We put several eggs in vinegar so people could see and feel an egg
with no shell.

Lastly at each station we gave science explanations for each and as
something fun we gave out recipes for natural egg dyes so kids could
color eggs.

We still had a lot of eggs left over.  Needless to say the museum
staff was pretty sick of egg salad for a while!!  If you want any
more details you can contact me directly.

Cheers!

Signe Pereira, M.Ed.
Education Coordinator
MIT Museum