ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennifer Tuxen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:30:21 -0600

Hi - We have had this challenge many times.  I have a staff meeting
every 2 weeks and when it is a common problem, we discuss the situation,
I get their feedback and make the appropriate response.  Sometimes, I
need to hear why they are late, just in case they have a legitimate
reason.  Mostly, it's b/c they aren't keeping up with the time (make
sure you have clocks around).  Then, my appropriate answer is usually,
this is your responsibility to show up to your program 10 minutes before
it starts, no questions asked.  If this continues to happen, they I'll
cut their hours back.  This, more than anything, motivates part time
staff.  Especially high school and college aged kids.  I also give them
specific reasons why they should be on time.  Mostly, I always resort to
the mission and why the center is here.  For the visitors to learn.  I
like to also reward those, IN FRONT OF EVERYONE ELSE, who are doing over
and beyond.  Be careful not to reward them for doing their job.  That
sends a message to them that your standard is too low.  Expect them to
do it right, that is the bare minimum. If you have a reward system,
perhaps they would rise to the occasion.  We have a thank you tree for
staff to give each other a sucker if they go over and beyond.  Then,
once a month the people who were thanked are put into a drawing for a
free lunch.

Do you have written objectives for them?  If not, I suggest that you do
this.  That way, they know right away what is expected of them.  One
last idea, do a lot of observing too.  If they see you on the floor,
then they will be sure to be in their spot on time.  Later, they won't
know if you are watching or not and will start to get in the habit of
being on time.  If you can catch them in the act, then discipline right
away.  This may be a verbal warning or an actual write-up.  However, the
message will get across.  Explain to them that you see this pattern and
if it continues, then they may not be right for this position and should
consider looking elsewhere.

Good Luck!  Feel free to call me if you would like to chat about this
more!
Jennifer Tuxen
Jennifer Tuxen

Director of Programs and Education