ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:09:25 -0500

Lynn,

We use an interactive whiteboard made by Hitachi called a starboard, it is essentially the same as the smartboard brand.

We have three labs (classrooms) which we facilitate programming for our school groups. The programs are based on the Connecticut State Science Standards, and the boards are used by us to enhance the students experience. We use it to write on as we would a chalk board, but also to create slides or screens for the different parts of the classroom which is inquiry based. In the board software (we have a file for each class) we can include images, instructions, tables, writing surfaces, movies, etc.

For the facilitator it also helps as a visual outline of the class so our classes at least in terms of content and flow can be consistent. They are invaluable as an education tool and as a tool to use on the gallery floor which we have yet to incorporate. The issue being the fact that the projector needs to be realigned almost every time you roll the setup.

If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate.

Michael Ross

Program Educator

Connecticut Science Center

250 Columbus Boulevard

Hartford, CT 06103

Direct: 860.520.2104

www.CTScienceCenter.org  |  (860) SCIENCE

JOIN TODAY and discover the benefits of Membership.

            Now featuring monthly specials!

       Follow us on