Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:56:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

> From: Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: [OT] Making a paper ruler to measure the number of lines on a page
> Date: November 20, 2011 1:01:26 PM EST
> 
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> I'm looking at a computer program listing that goes on for several dozen pages. It would be good to have a line number for each line. I'm sure not going to write them in, so how about a paper ruler that will allow me to quickly see the number of each line? That way I could say something like, "See line 6 on page 44."
> 
> I thought maybe I could do this by using MS word by creating a one column table with the row spacing just right to use it as a measure. Put a number in each cell, and print it out.
> 
> Well, it sort of works. Cell heights of 0.2" almost make it work, but 2.24 or 2.23 might be better. However, Word rounds these up or down.
> 
> Any ideas?

Wayne,

Pretty much any good text editor for coders will do this for you automatically. Bare Bones Software makes excellent text editors used by coders: BBEdit is very popular, as is its free version TextWrangler. Both provide the option to include or exclude line numbers on the display or print output. Both are available in the Mac App Store or at Bare Bones Software's website:
http://www.barebones.com/

There are many, many other choices for both Mac and Windows platforms. I'll be happy to make further suggestions if you contact me off-list via email.

John M. Hammer
79-10 Bell Blvd
Oakland Gardens, NY 11364
917-727-6856
[log in to unmask]

John Hammer Consulting provides services to non-profit organizations in the areas of board development, management, planning, finances; science exhibition and program creation and evaluation; recruiting, workforce training, and human resource policy.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2