ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Charles Stout)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:28:01 -0400

Eric, Clifford et al.:

I wouldn't suggest that you (or some collaborative of we) should not draft a statement ON(as opposed to ABOUT) evolution, but I have reservations about the effect and effectiveness any such statement might have without a higher level discussion of strategy and tactics.

Refering back to Phil's message of earlier today, the statement is reactive and political by intent. These aren't bad reasons to write it and post it prominantly. But they are reasons to look at the stratgies and tactics used by those we would be reacting to. By and large, political debate is in the media, and science centers generally and collectively have a great deal of access to media and therefore to reading, viewing and listening populations long before they ever reach our doorsteps to read the statement. We should want to look at scenarios of desired and likely outcomes for actions we take in regard to our statements as well as our actions and programming.

I think these larger issues might provide the framework for a concerted strategic plan that could frame any statement and also serve to focus and coordinate other efforts -- because other efforts will be required. One assumes that we all have a passionate desire to provide science information and experiences in perpetuity rather than going down in a blaze of glory.

Best regards,

Charlie

Charles Stout
Media Arts Manager