ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kay Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:10:51 -0800

I'm still confused by how going to the moon will help us go to Mars.

As Jonah pointed out:
>No offense, but this still seems a little science fiction-like to me. How
>much of that ore is economically recoverable? Even if there's lots of
>iron and titanium on the lunar surface, where's the infrastructure to
>mine it? And refine it into useable material? And craft said material
>into equipment? And....

The launch is only cheaper for materials actually mined from the Moon--and
then only after making up the deficit of sending equipment, personnel, and
life support systems from Earth. I have trouble seeing how the balance
sheet can come out in our favor. Would we really be able to use enough Moon
material to be worth it?

I love the idea of going back to the Moon and having humans live and work
there, but this seems like a squirrelly way to do it. Can anyone explain
what I'm missing?

  Kay Ziff
  Exhibit Developer

  Bay Area Discovery Museum