ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bruce Wyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 16:19:42 -0500

>http://www.parliant.com/phonevalet
>
>http://www.ovolab.com/phlink/index.php

I've used both Phone Valet and Phlink and both will do what you're
trying to do, after you jump through a couple of hoops. (I've also
used asterisk and would be quick to admit that it takes some effort
to get going quite like you want it and requires some additional
hardware. Both Phone Valet and Phlink come with a USB device that
hooks up to your *analog* phone line)

Allan's approach is along the lines I was thinking of.

You'll need to rip your subscription CDs into individual audio files
-- if the tracks are individual tracks on the CD, you can just use
iTunes to rip them to mp3s (or aac or other, you're going to probably
use a mac mini for this, so whatever iTunes will rip, the mini will
be able to play back in Phone Valet or Phlink).

I'm not at the office (at AAM in Chicago) so I can't poke at either
Phone Valet or Phlink to suggest the best way to rotate the daily
message, but my suspicion is that just some applescripting will do
it. At worst, you could have a 5 minute manual process in which
someone on staff just selected the new audio file as the welcome
message each day.

Also, if you didn't do applescripting within Phone Valet or Phlink to
change the messaging, you can do a wide variety of unixy cron jobs to
do file renaming in the finder based on the date, essentially never
touching Phone Valet or Phlink, just renaming the new file to what
they both think the outgoing message file actually is.

I've used both Phone Valet and Phlink to set up a phone-in audio tour
with some basic menus and different audio bits based on selection. We
also capture audio responses in one portion of the tour. I've found
Phlink to be a little less reliable than Phone Valet, although
they're both pretty good products. We now use Phlink to answer an
internal help line and email the phone messages to specific staff.
Phone Valet runs the audio tour.

When I'm back in the office next week, I can take a closer look at
both products and see if there's an incredibly obvious way to solve
the problem that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Oh, and let me reiterate -- both products are expecting an analog
phone line (RJ45 jack).

-bw.
--
Bruce Wyman, Director of Technology
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204