ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:01:14 -0400

	No, no experience with this technology only with paper and pencil.
However, physical tracking is only one aspect of studying visitors as
I am sure you are aware. An interesting approach was Sue Allen's at
the Exploratorium. She, and her colleagues, wired visitors for sound
(of course with their permission) and simultaneously video taped them
to understand what they were doing while the went through the
exhibition and discussed it. I think they were shadowed by a staff
member taking notes just incase the video was unable because of
positioning to see everything. Interesting but analysis was extremely
laborious.

Cheers,

Martin

On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:31 AM, phaeno Wolfsburg, Alexandra Schautz wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> Hi everyone,
>

> I am currently working on a PhD proposal for a visitor evaluation
> study
> in our Science Center Phaeno in Germany. For my project I need to
> track
> visitors – where they walk, how much time they spend at one exhibit
> etc.
> Since there a lots of new things out there to facilitate data
> collection
> I was wondering whether one of your institutions has any experience
> with
> RFID technology (Radio Frequency Identification). The idea would be to
> have the visitors tagged (of course with their permission) to follow
> their way within one part of our exhibition floor.
>
> Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!
>

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Alexandra

> Alexandra Schautz
> phæno gGmbH
> Willy-Brandt-Platz 1
> 38440 Wolfsburg

> www.phaeno.de

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Martin Weiss, PhD
Science Interpretation Consultant
mweiss at nyscience dot org