ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Zeeshan Lakhani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:08:15 -0400

Hello all. I just wanted to throw out something we've been working on at Liberty Science Center and attempt to garner some early interest for it...

I'm a web developer/programmer at LSC. We're in the process of creating a new set of web tools/platforms (new website, applications, etc...), one of which is entitled MOSCAR (Museum Code and Application Repository).

Here is a general description:

Liberty Science Center's (LSC) MOSCAR project is a web initiative that attempts to promote collaboration and access of open source code, frameworks, applications, and technology information amongst museums, science centers, and the like-minded community. On a basic level, the project will act as an exchange and hub for free software, scripts,  tutorials/links, and documentation that will be both supplied by and targeted to various developers, designers, and those with technology-related needs and interests, regardless of technical proficiency or background. A website will be set-up that is part wiki (for documentation) and part version control/ticketing system for software and application uploads and feedback. A social-media campaign and outreach effort will strive to provide the initial content and user base. LSC staff will host, manage, and contribute to the project, but the focus is to provide a centralized location for sharing, discussion, and the overall spread of ergonomic technology focused on the museum community.

The goal of the project is to promote open-source development across institutions and to reach (and ultimately teach) those in need of programming and technological development. We hope to launch MOSCAR at the onset of 2011, and if you are interested in the project, we ask you to please vote for our presentation at South by Southwest before the August 27th deadline: http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/view/8059

More information on MOSCAR be found here (Creative Commons grant application) and here (conceptual layout/presentation). We also welcome all questions and comments. Once we finish our project plan and feature list, we will share it with the museum community for feedback and ideas. Additionally, here are some links that have influenced (and will aid) the concept:
Forrst
Github
Colab Science
Open Exhibits