ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:34:33 -0400

Dear List,

I accidentally surprised and alarmed a few list members with a blog post I wrote yesterday about the "Difference between a science museum and a science center", here:
http://www.idea.org/blog/2011/03/31/difference-between-a-science-museum-and-a-science-center/
That blog post was mostly based on quotes from a recent discussion thread on this list. As part of blogging, I monitor many lists and feeds.

I would like to restate my apology for not asking in advance about using quotes. I assumed that like comments on a blog, or any social media platform, that there's nothing private about a listserv. The ISEN-ASTC-L is a public list, and it's publicly archived and fully indexed by search engines. Public archive:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/WA-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=ISEN-ASTC-L&X=1CA5CF619E5C38FEAE

My faux pas raises an interesting generational issue. I don't mean generational in terms of age, but in terms of who embraces a post-privacy era. It would never occur to me to post something to a public email list (like this) that I am not comfortable with the world seeing.

But there was a second factor at play. I know that there's a casualness to conversations here. As an outsider, I incorrectly assumed that the definition of the field (what's a museum vs. a center) was pretty basic stuff. So quoting casual comments seemed reasonable.

In contrast, I have another story in progress about how many museums don't pay for journal access. My sense was that is a more subtle issue. As part of research on the story, I previously emailed several list members off-list for quotes. Not because I did not consider their on-list comments fair game, but because casual comments on a controversial topic are more likely to risk catching people out of context or imprecisely, and I don't want to embarrass anyone.

So again, sorry for jumping the gun in assuming a degree of publicness which some list members did not expect. And perhaps other list members have comments about presumptions of privacy on public lists.

Kind regards,

Michael Douma
IDEA.org