ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2012 15:43:49 -0800

Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science, the city's science and technology museum from 1939 to 1991, was closed on Mondays for a short time in the 1980s.

Since the front doors had to remain open on Mondays anyway, for staff use, a Floor Supervisor still had to be on duty to watch the doors. He documented how many people had to be turned-away on Mondays. Pretty soon, it became clear that the Monday closing was not really worth it, so Buhl reopened on Mondays.

Due to Buhl Planetarium's smaller size (15,000 square feet of exhibit space in five galleries, plus planetarium, lecture hall, observatory, computer lab, and library), weekday mornings were reserved for school groups. The building opened for public visits at 1:00 p.m.

There were always a few school groups scheduled in the afternoons, but the majority of school groups were scheduled in the morning. Also, usually the public who sought admission on a weekday morning were not turned-away. However, they were advised that the building may be crowded with school groups (particularly during the very busy Spring field trip season) and that planetarium and other program scheduling in the morning were geared to school group requests.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SpaceWatchtower Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >
Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
  < http://garespypost.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >