ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:51:40 -0400

Thank you everyone for your help and quick reply.

I would like to keep the interactive 'all natural' as possible but using
pumps is being considered.

We have tried and will be trying many of the ideas mentioned here, such
as somehow floating the drain 'opening' at a fixed height below the
surface and a device that work on 'water level-float-draining opening
restricting device.

I did make a simple inline 'auto' valve restricting device that changed
based on flow pressure (or rate). It did auto adjust as the water
level/flow/pressure changed. I have yet to get it to keep the flow rate
constant (did reduce the difference) though and am intrigued enough to
want to played around with the design a bit for get better results...
but time is fast running out and thus the request for help.

For the rest of the system... the tank is open at the top and will be
filled from above at the same rate as the tank empties. There will be
multiple drain and filling valves  that can be opened to change. For the
'filling' valves I was going to use the 'overflowing-constant head' tank
concept with a valve to match the main tank's (a) drain flow rate.

I figure this may be a bit confusing sorry - somewhat in a rush today.

I'll let you know what happens, what solution we go with/find.

Thanks again.
-Peter