ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristie Mazzoni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:56:28 -0400

If you use some chicken wire for your shape, you can drape it with
muslin.  It's a very lightweight cloth, and it's sold in an unbleached
tan color for making clothing mock-ups.  Once the muslin is stapled or
tied on the frame, you can tighten it up by using watered-down wallpaper
sizing.  Once it's completely dry, it can be painted, but don't
overpaint, or it will just absorb all the water and sag.  Painter's
canvas would work, and you could shrink it with gesso, but I think that
would be more expensive.

If you're up this way, we just did some fake rocks in our main exhibit
hall.  They were done with plaster, though.

Kristie M. Mazzoni
Assistant Planetarium Director
Gengras Planetarium
The Children's Museum