ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Wallace Hostetler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 09:24:06 -0700

Patricia,

I read recently in an issue of Orion magazine (May/June 2007
www.orionmagazine.org) of an effort in which communities attempt to eat
locally produced food for an entire week, in order to understand the role of
fossil fuels in transporting foods and the inadequacy of local food systems.
It is called the "Localvore Challenge." The rule is that foods had to be
grown within a 100-mile radius of the community.

You might try a search on "Localvore Challenge." As I understand it, people
sign up to be a part of the challenge and then have to work cooperatively to
determine the foods available and expand their creativity in recipes and
adjusting expectations. I have been thinking how our science museum might
initiate this challenge and be a central resource for our community.

It would be interesting to have community members and children gather
information on what foods are locally available. They might assess what
substitutions might be made for certain conventional standards that are not
produced locally (for example in our area we have access to a good amount of
fruits and vegetables but not as much grains, especially rice). Perhaps out
of this might become a greater awareness of what is required to produce and
transport food. I believe in the US the current estimate is 1500 miles that
food travels to reach the average American dinner plate.

Good luck!

Chris

Chris Wallace Hostetler
Executive Director
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
1500 East Main
Ashland, Oregon  97520
541-482-6767 ext. 31
www.scienceworksmuseum.org

"La experiencia es la madre de la ciencia." - Cervantes