ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:23:42 -0700

George,

Several years ago, when I worked at Flandrau Science Center in Tucson,
we built a number of exhibits related to 'smoking.' Several of them were
pretty good and maybe one or two could be adapted for use 'on the road'
as you say.

One exhibit  measured a visitors lung capacity -  visitors took a  wide
straw and blew into a orifice. A piston moved up a tube and a readout
gave lung capacity in hundredths of a liter, I think. Now ours was
pretty complicated with electronic sensors and automated valves and
pumps to clear the expelled air. It could be made much simpler in an
outreach situation; the tube can simply be marked with graduations to
measure lung capacity for example.

Another exhibit used two telephones that altered the users voices -
cigarette smoking affects vocal cords. There were nine different voices
to choose from. We also used a Wentz Scope that showed a half dozen or
so lung slides. We also had a sprinkling of the usual charts  and
photos, though nothing too overbearing.

On second thought, maybe we had one or two that were fair and none worth
adapting.... Let us know what you come up with.

Joe Ruggiero
TheExhibitGuys.com