ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Abraham Flexer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 17:24:07 -0600

Labels printed on wood were common many years ago but were difficult
to read unless the grain was very "tame" and the font quite large
compared to spacing of the grain.  You could test both by printing
the label copy on clear transparency film (remember overhead
projectors?) and placing that over the wood of your choice.

At 03:18 PM 5/3/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>
>Ever since we got our trusty HP DesignJet in the office here it's
>been my little joke with my boss every year that we should put a
>"Sintra printer" into the budget.
>
>Well, it appears the universe has called my bluff, and such things
>actually now exist.  "UV curable flatbed printer" is the keyword...
>print on any substrate!  Wood, plastic, metal, glass -- apparently
>any reasonably flat thing you can lay down on the printer, it'll print on it.
>
>These things are still in the realm of service bureaus at this point
>(I don't think my boss will spring for a $200k printer, regardless
>of how geeky cool and useful it may be), but I just wanted to ask
>for feedback from anyone who has had much of this sort of printing
>done. Vendor?  Cost?  Process?  Durability?  Good/bad applications
>of the technology?  Examples you've seen?
>
>We have a project in the pipeline for which large-format graphics
>printed on wood and metal might be exactly the right look, so we're
>trying to get a sense for how to approach it.  Thanks for any insight.
>
>--Allan
>

>--
>~~
>
>Allan Ayres
>Exhibit Developer
>Lawrence Hall of Science
>University of California, Berkeley
>Berkeley, CA 94720-5200
>510-642-1254

>More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
>Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
>
>The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from
>L-Soft. To learn more, visit
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

Abe Flexer
612 W. Sagebrush Dr.
Louisville, CO  80027
Tel = Fax = 303-604-0605