ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:23:56 -0500

I think we also need to consider the societal context of these critiques
of social science. With overall federal  funding cuts there is lobbying
from the physics, engineering, and medical areas which have more
political clout to maintain funding in the areas that support their own
economic interests. Science as a societal endeavor has always been a
value-laden and political process. It isn't surprising that these types
of critiques come out at this time when scarcity has been created in the
economic system. The prestige hierarchy of university sciences is also
well-identified phenomena and when conflated with corporate interests,
it is not an inconsequential factor in producing these critiques.

On the other hand, rigor is a topic that continues to evolve.
Particularly in all applied areas, the traditional criteria for rigor
(including repeatability/replication) are being called into question
across multiple areas of science. Engineering and drug research have
some ongoing issues, both with investigator independence (sponsors
influencing results) and the initial focus and design blinding
researchers from identifying essential questions.  For example, random
control designs may be considered highly rigorous, but the length of the
studies (influenced both by patient need and commercial interests)
prevent the identification of serious, sometimes even fatal, side-effects.

Michael Quinn Patton recently recommended that evaluators look at the
work of Zelik and his collaborators for better criteria for rigor. Zelik
(et. al) looked at several situations (e.g. the Challenger Incident)
where  where decisions, based of evidence, failed and have recommended
criteria for rigor appropriate to applied situation. I think we need to
consider this framework for rigor in informal science education evaluation.

Patton, M.Q. (2011).The debate about randomized controls in evaluation:
The gold standard question. [PowerPoint slides in PDF form]. Retrieved
from
http://um.dk/en/~/media/UM/Danish-site/Documents/Danida/Resultater/Eval/Patton_RCT_April_2011pdf.ashx
<http://um.dk/en/%7E/media/UM/Danish-site/Documents/Danida/Resultater/Eval/Patton_RCT_April_2011pdf.ashx>.

Zelik, D. J., Patterson, E. S., & Woods, D. D. (2010). Measuring
attributes of rigor in information analysis. In E. S. Patterson & J. E.
Miller (Eds.), Macrocognition metrics and scenarios: Design and
evaluation for real-world teams. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate. (ISBN:
978-0-7546-7578-5)
http://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/zelik/research/Rigor_files/ZelikPattersonWoods_MeasuringRigor_1.pdf.

Zelik, D., Patterson, E. S., & Woods, D. D. (2007, June). Understanding
rigor in information analysis. Paper presented at the 8th International
Conference on Naturalistic Decision Making, Pacific Grove, CA. (PDF)
http://csel.eng.ohiotate.edu/zelik/research/Rigor_files/ZelikPattersonWoods_UnderstandingRigor_1.pdf.

Zelik, D., Patterson, E. S., & Woods, D. D. (2007, June). Understanding
rigor in information analysis. Paper presented at the 8th International
Conference on Naturalistic Decision Making, Pacific Grove, CA. (Video)
_http://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/zelik/research/Presentations-NDM8.html. _

Zelik, D., Patterson, E. S., & Woods, D. D. Modeling rigor in
information analysis: A metric for rigor.
http://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/zelik/research/Rigor_files/ZelikPattersonWoods_ModelingRigorPoster.pdf.

Best regards,

Carey

Carey Tisdal