ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:41:48 -0400

Although the LHC and quantum physics are not directly accessible to
elementary school students, there are any number of embedded or underlying
concepts that are amenable to inquiry, from the behavior of magnets to
basics of motion, to the behavior of matter.  This would be true for almost
any science news topic.

A great resource for finding these underpinnings and for identifying
inquiries that will support higher level understandings later is the Atlas
of Science Literacy from AAAS Project 2061.  The Atlas takes the Project
2061 Benchmarks and arranges them in developmental progressions.  A number
of these maps are available in interactive form at the National Science
Digital Library http://strandmaps.nsdl.org/ and the paper Atlas can be
ordered from AAAS.

Also, a lot of energy continues to be expended on developing inquiry
activities.  Unfortuantely, isolated teacher-developed activities are
generally not as effective as the already-existing research-based inquiry
science curriculums (Science and Technology for Children, Full-Option
Science System, and Insights are three comprehensive curricula that are
research-based).  The power of these curricula comes not so much from
individual activities as from the sequencing of activities. The sequence is
carefully designed to elicit and develop reasoning about deep concepts and
science process.  Perhaps your project could familiarize teachers with some
of these existing exemplary materials and show how the fundamental science
in these materials is connected to current events.

Dave Smith

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center

Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was
listening, everything must be said again.  -- Andre Gide