Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:33:31 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I believe one of the problems with some of the plasticized human body remains exhibits are that some of the shows do *not* have a good paper work trail showing that the individuals gave express permission before their death, and this is where it gets messy because many of those bodies may be prisoners (so let the allegations of body-selling begin).  It is true that Gunther Von Hagens now has a consent form for bodies he uses that essentially allows him to display the body however he wants.  That may not be the case with all such bodies.

-William

On Aug 5, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Peter A Anderson wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Jeff,
> 
> First: apologies for confusing you with Jonah, author of the posting before yours.
> 
> It's one thing to be moved when encountering human remains - wondering what life the person lived;  what s/he saw, felt etc.  (I surely do that.)
> 
> It's another thing to think that any human remains, even if unclaimed by anyone, must be treated as sacred in any way.  I don't think - or feel - that is necessary.
> 
> Beryl,
> 
> I support absolutely the care and repatriation of remains that are specifically meaningful to anyone, especially those to whom ancestral remains are precious.
> 
> As I understand it, all plasticized human body exhibits are shown with the express permission of the individual given before death, and sanctioned by relatives.
> 
> Peter A.
> 
> -- 
> 
> 1449 Grant Street, Victoria  BC  V8R 1M4
> T/F  250 592 3332
> Cell 250 885 6724
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2