ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 09:50:30 -0700

I am happy to announce the publication of two new reports from the Coalition
for Science After School:

In 2008, with funding from The Noyce Foundation, CSAS undertook a review of
staff development for after-school STEM.  A select group of CSAS members,
representing key staff development providers, formed a community of
practice.  The discussions of that community, combined with the existing
research base (summarized in a Research Brief), were used to create the
report, *Strengthening After-School STEM Staff Development*.  I hope you
will find the report useful in defining the need for after-school STEM staff
development, a range of strategies, and the priorities for future projects.

Report:
http://www.scienceafterschool.org/pdfs/CSAS_Staff_Development_2009.pdf
Staff Capacity and PD page:
http://www.scienceafterschool.org/case_comm_staff.html
Research Brief: http://www.scienceafterschool.org/pdfs/StaffDevelopment.pdf

Also in 2008, CSAS conducted a market study in partnership with the Center
for Research, Evaluation, and Assessment (REA) at the Lawrence Hall of
Science (LHS), University of California, Berkeley, with funding from the S.
D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation. The purpose of the market study was to help
answer some highly practical questions for CSAS, including: Which
after-school programs are “doing” science? What exactly are they doing? What
are their needs? By collecting data that answered these questions, CSAS
proposed to gain a greater understanding of existing science programs in
after-school settings.  Among our key findings: 88% of after-school programs
surveyed are offering science; 80% consider science a priority; but, very
few are offering consistent programming, using curricula that has been
designed and tested for after-school, and supporting the programming with
staff development and evaluation.

Market Study:
http://www.scienceafterschool.org/pdfs/CSAS_Market_Study2008.pdf

As with all CSAS publications, these reports are designed to support your
planning and implementation of future projects to the benefit of the
after-school STEM field.  Please feel free to distribute them to your
partners and funders, and contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you again to our funders - the Noyce Foundation and the S. D. Bechtel,
Jr. Foundation - for their support of this work.

Sincerely,

Jason
---
Jason Freeman