ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:22:40 -0700

Laurie
We have both grants and private donors to help sponsor memberships.
Identifying families can be tricky, but mostly we work through local
services that provide resources for families (parent resource groups,
the county, etc.).  We often just make the info available at such places
for families to take advantage of them if they would like to.  We also
provide free family day passes to these groups to pass out with the
other info they provide families... once they visit we can talk to them
and offer a discounted or free membership paid for by our grants.
Usually the criteria of "families with food stamps" is the thing we look
for when talking with various agencies...  We also work with agencies
who provide housing for low income families (we have a university here,
so a large market of such families) and provide free day passes to all
of them to introduce them to our Center.  It takes a lot of community
work and contacts, and though we don't always get a large return in
regards those families converting day passes into family memberships,
the goodwill nature of it deepens our connection to the community,
providing long term relationships and an awareness that our Center is
truly part of the community.
Mark

--

minds."  Albert Einstein

Mark Goddard - [log in to unmask]

Palouse Discovery Science Center

2371 NE Hopkins Ct., Pullman, WA  99163

http://www.palousescience.org

509-332-6869 (W)

20172  State Route 194, Pullman, WA  99163

509-432-5230 (C) 509-338-9042 (H)