Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:38:11 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Fiona Ma, a member of the California Assembly and a Chinese American, has said this about Body Worlds and similar exhibits (quoted from her website):

Ma, a Chinese American, said she became concerned about the use of Chinese remains after viewing a 2005 anatomy exhibition when she served on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  "Chinese people are very superstitious about death. If someone dies in a house, they won't buy the house," she said. "They believe in full-body burials. They don't believe in organ donations, and some people don't even believe in giving blood. So, automatically, I thought that something was wrong with the show."

She is author of a bill that would require proof of informed consent either from the donor or next of kin before bodies can be put on display in California.  

On Aug 6, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Len Adams wrote:

>   I'm curious what feelings run through people of Chinese heritage as they see prisoners from their former country on display doing things they never did in real life.  I see similarities between trotting Sitting Bull around an arena and seeing a former Chinese prisoner posed as if throwing a football.
> 
> - Len
> 

Chuck Howarth, Vice President

G Y R O S C O P E I N C
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201
Oakland, CA 94607   

tele:   510.986.0111
web:  www.gyroscopeinc.com
blog:  http://museums-now.blogspot.com

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2