ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:38:11 -0700

Fiona Ma, a member of the California Assembly and a Chinese American, has said this about Body Worlds and similar exhibits (quoted from her website):

Ma, a Chinese American, said she became concerned about the use of Chinese remains after viewing a 2005 anatomy exhibition when she served on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  "Chinese people are very superstitious about death. If someone dies in a house, they won't buy the house," she said. "They believe in full-body burials. They don't believe in organ donations, and some people don't even believe in giving blood. So, automatically, I thought that something was wrong with the show."

She is author of a bill that would require proof of informed consent either from the donor or next of kin before bodies can be put on display in California.

On Aug 6, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Len Adams wrote:

>   I'm curious what feelings run through people of Chinese heritage as they see prisoners from their former country on display doing things they never did in real life.  I see similarities between trotting Sitting Bull around an arena and seeing a former Chinese prisoner posed as if throwing a football.
>
> - Len

Chuck Howarth, Vice President

G Y R O S C O P E I N C
283 Fourth Street, Suite 201