ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:40:28 -0700

I went to a conference in Pasadena this weekend, which finished late
Saturday night, and thought I'd spend time Sunday looking around the
area. I realized I hadn't gone to Griffith obs. for almost 30 year, so
managed to get there with not a lot of time in the day. I knew it had
been modernized, and so it was. They had a clever display of the Big
Dipper in a plastic transparent ball about 8-10' in diameter. Inside
they had about 15 glowing balls of of varying brightness. The idea was
to walk around the ball and find where the perspective was the BD. Quite
good. I wouldn't mind building something on a smaller scale for our
little museum, without the globe. I think I saw something along these
lines on the web some years ago. Comments?

I'll have to go back there some day, and get a better look at
everything. It was quite an improvement. Perhaps I'll go to Mt. Wilson
too. I know it's become a big interferometer, but don't know anything
about the public buildings there.