ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:29:57 -0400

 From the National  Center for Science Education.
http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/news/2005/KS/128_biologists_snub_39kangaroo__3_30_2005.asp

This report on a planned six days of hearings on evolution, with
"intelligent design" (ID) proponents given equal time with
scientists. The hearings are being organized by the conservative
majority on the Kansas State Board of Education, at the suggestion of
the Kansas-based Intelligent Design Network, in part says:

Scientists refusing to participate

  The hearings are scheduled for May 5-7 and May 12-14. However,
Nature reports that the Kansas BoE has so far failed to find any
evolutionary biologists willing to participate in a grueling set of
hearings, with no standards for what constitutes "expert testimony,"
and with an apparently predetermined result. Harry McDonald,
president of Kansas Citizens for Science, was quoted in the Nature
article as saying the Board is "just doing this as a political
smokescreen." Kansas Citizens for Science has recommended a boycott
to scientists who might be invited to testify, and is planning to
host alternative events in opposition to the hearings.

Reaction to kangaroo court

  The Kansas "kangaroo court" for evolution has attracted considerable
criticism in addition to that of Kansas Citizens for Science. People
for the American Way called the idea a "Creationism Show Trial." On
March 29, J. David McDonald, Chairman of Biological Sciences at
Wichita State University, wrote in the Wichita Eagle, "Simply put,
certain religious groups feel threatened by evolution and have thus
set out to attack it in any way they can. They cannot threaten it
scientifically, so they are using political power to do what they can
to push it to the margins." He concluded by saying, "The science of
evolution is about the how of life's origins. Religions are about the
why. Both science and religion are overreaching when they extend into
the other's domain."

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D