ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erin Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:04:54 -0600

I think we can all agree that the primary goal of science is to explain
the physical world through observation and repeated experimental
testing.  We can also agree that there is no scientific way to
prove/disprove the existence of God.  We can not do any empirical
testing and therefore must rely on faith that the Bible is true and God
is real.

What about the origin of life.  Was there a person present to take a
sample of the primordial soup of where 'science' says life began?  Can
we observe it and do repeated experimental tests on it?  The answer is
no.  I'm sure there are people who are trying to replicate it and
believe they know exactly what was in that soup (if there was a soup).
We have evidence through fossils that there were different species, but
we can not through experimentation prove cause and effect that each
species evolved from the previous.  There must be a leap of faith that
each species lead to another.  Yes they all had the same basic building
blocks, but that does not scientifically prove through experimentation
they had all formed from the same thing like a ladder up to the modern
man.  Just like we can not prove there is a God. The story is told that
the modern man is the “fittest” through natural selection.  Even with
all our physical and social problems?  These are stories told to try and
make sense of the real physical fossils.

Each is a story that relies on 'faith' for some part and not repeating
experimentation.  So which story is true?

If the Christian is wrong and there is no God, no heaven, and no hell.
Then science is all there is and we are a byproduct of nature with no
purpose in life.  What have they lost?  If the Christian is wrong, they
have lost nothing.  They simply had a good and peaceful life.

What if the person who says there is no God is wrong?  What if science
is not all there is?  What if the bible is true and God is real?  What
have they lost?  If the person who says there is no God is wrong, they
have lost their eternal soul.

This is my personal view and in no way represents the views of this
institute.

Erin Martin

--