Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:34:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (69 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Thanks for your encouragement :)  I sure hope we can pull it off.
Rachel

On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Eric Siegel wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> cool idea Rachel.  I have not heard of the cooperative model in museums or science centers.  As far as a toy library or exchange, I have not heard of that either, but it is also a great idea.  congrats for thinking out of the sphere.
> 
> eric siegel
> On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:24 PM, Rachel Garcia wrote:
> 
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>> 
>> Hello Everyone,
>> I am working to get a science center (or as I call it a science play-space) in Knox County, OH, a county with about 60,000 people, mainly rural, but with two colleges and a county seat of almost 20,000.  I've been thinking a lot about funding, and how to make it work in a place where a lot of people have low incomes.  I believe we can get some local funding for infrastructure and "stuff", but salaries and ongoing costs will be very difficult.  I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows anything about using cooperative models for running such a place.  
>> 
>> For example, I was thinking about people gaining membership, and "ownership" by putting in a certain number of hours or money that would allow them unlimited use of the space for a certain time period.  I've seen this model used at food coops- time worked gives discounts, but I've never heard of it for a science center.
>> 
>> Also I was wondering has any science center ever had a science toy library or toy exchange?  If you have thought of it, or have done it, do you have any thoughts to share?
>> 
>> Thank you for sharing all the great stuff on this list serve!
>> 
>> Rachel Garcia
>> ([log in to unmask])
>> ***********************************************************************
>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>> 
>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>> 
>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>> 
>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
>> [log in to unmask]
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2