ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:20:29 -0500

There is always a problem when an "analogy" is so graphically well illustrated that it becomes easy to forget that it is "just an analogy."  The 2D "elastic plane" of this popular analogy leaves behind the fact that space has many more dimensions.  The smaller balls roll down toward the heavier object because the analogy is one of objects being pulled down by gravity which is a very easily grasped idea. Balls roll down hill, not up, no argument. What folks have a much harder time with is the idea that the "elastic plane" itself is supposed to represent space/time. 2D, 3D, flat, not flat, where are the edges? What does time have to do with it? Oh and what actually is "space?"

All those CGI animations with the glowing green grid-lines should be replaced with something more like a gingham table cloth weighed down with a large melon and some rolling cherries. A god analogy should work with everyday objects, ideas or experiences we have all had. Sometimes the desire to make stuff look neat gets in the way of making the real point. As a designer of exhibits I have seen this all too often, even done it myself. We want everything wrapped in neat little packages when all to often the subject is really a whacky mess.

BUT my favorite part about gravity is that we still don't know what the heck it actually is, only what it does.

It would be interesting to have folks list examples of both good and bad analogies used to explain scientific concepts.

--
Erich Rose
Exhibit, Environmental and Industrial Design