ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Katherine Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 08:59:07 -0700

I don't have a specific reference, but I would hesitate to read too much
into any number without knowing the context in which it was derived. Was the
floor carpeted or not? Where in the exhibit was the video located? Did the
exhibit offer seating elsewhere?

The best set-up I've seen for watching a video while standing included a
padded bar I could lean back against while the video ran. The monitor was
housed in a curved wall so I wasn't distracted by movement in other parts of
my visual field. And the video itself was compelling--I was interested in
the topic, and it was filmed beautifully and with humor. Even so, I was
grateful when the video ended before I got uncomfortable enough to want to
leave--somehow, leaving a video while it is running always feels like a tiny
failure.

--
Katherine Ziff
Manager of School and Community Programs

(415) 339-3922