ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stefan Sommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:23:19 -0700

Dear Robert et al.,

...and, of course, the Nebraska State Museum is on the University of Nebraska
campus and is heavily integrated throughout the University's departments,
courses, and programs.

I imagine they are like the many other state museums (Idaho Museum of Natural
History, Arizona State Museum, and many others) that reside on university
campuses in that their budgets are in part directly from the state legislature
and partially from the University.

Again, I think this would be a great question for the 1,650 members of
ACUMG-L, the new listserv of the Association of College & University Museums &
Galleries.
To join that group, send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
To Post messages on ACUMG-L sens an e-mail to: 	[log in to unmask]

Best Wishes!

Stefan

Dr. Stefan Sommer
Director, Colorado Plateau Biodiversity Center http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/cpbc
Board of Directors, Assoc of College & University Museums & Galleries
http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/acumg
Director of Education, Merriam-Powell Center http://www.mpcer.nau.edu
Executive Producer, A River Reborn http://www.mpcer.nau.edu/riverreborn
Northern Arizona University
(928) 523-4463

>===== Original Message From Informal Science Education Network
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
institutions.

>There are, of course, a number of state museums of natural history.   Judy
>Diamond at the University of Nebraska State Museum in Lincoln has started a
>number of notable informal science projects, including a project on evolution
>that involved a collaborative of the University of Nebraska and a number of
>state museums.
>
>Robert L.  Russell, Ph.D.
>Science Advisor, Self-Reliance Foundation
>Project Director,  Celebra la Ciencia & ConCiencia/Hispanic Science Newswire
>(202) 360-4117  (office) (202) 997-5539 (cell)
>
>_www.celebralaciencia.org_ (http://www.celebralaciencia.org/)
>_www.selfreliancefoundation.org_ (http://www.selfreliancefoundation.org/)
>
>1126  16th St. NW, Suite 350
>Washington, DC 20036
>

>In a message dated 6/11/2008 5:33:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology  Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>institutions.
>
>And  of course there is the Yale Peabody museum.  Not sure of the
>relationship again, but it is certainly a substantial
>museum...arguably more substantial in its public focus than the
>Harvard Museum of Natural History (just for the fun of kindling that
>rivalry).
>
>Eric
>
>Eric Siegel
>Director and Chief Content  Officer
>New York Hall of Science
>47-01 111th Street
>Queens, NY  11368
>www.nyscience.org
>718.699.0005 x 317
>esiegel at nyscience dot  org
>

>On Jun 11, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Wendy Derjue-Holzer  wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of  Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide  network of science museums and related
>> institutions.

>>  Mike and others-
>> Thanks for the mention of the Harvard Museum of  Natural History and
>> the other museums here at Harvard. We, like  many other university
>> museums, tread on that fine line between  valuing the connections,
>> scientific expertise, and collections  of the University and making a
>> name for ourselves in our  communities as a destination for visitors
>> of all  ages.
>>
>> We are not an independent 501(c)3 organization although  our mission
>> is to serve the public and to serve as a public  face for our parent
>> academic research museums.
>>
>>  Or at least that's how I interpret it from my perspective.
>>
>>  -Wendy.
>>

>> --
>> Wendy Derjue-Holzer
> [...]

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Director of Education
Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
Northern Arizona University
Campus Box 5640
Flagstaff, AZ 86011

NAU Office:  (928) 523-4463