Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:11:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Ian,

The manufacturers of pinball machines had a similar idea in that most did not offer a flat surface for your beer.  Unfortunately that also was the cause of many a spilled pint.  Finally in the 80's they started adding them to the foosball tables. Personally, for years, I have argued for beer caddies on all my children's exhibits. Just don't understand why they get shot down every time...

But seriously, what I found to be the bigger issue was getting the museum to think through the implications (pros and cons if you will) of doing rentals.  Every rental has the potential for extra costs in the form of damage, added hours and, unfortunately, liability.  When the budgets are being developed and folks are tallying up the earned income versus expenses for rentals some accounting needs to take place for these unforeseen costs.  Basically a contingency to cover an extra carpet cleaning, a major exhibit repair or a couple dozen extra staff hours beyond what was expected.  If you combine that with a really good rental contract and a realistic security deposit then you probably have a good handle on facility rental.

Almost every new museum I have worked on over the last 30 years included a plan for facility rental.  Some were handled better than others and compromises were made both good and bad, but at least the need was known up front.  With the "earned side" of museum income being an important part of most business plans it can take on quite a priority.  Things need to be thought out well.  By example I was just told (second hand) about a local art museum's problems with a roof top rental space. It was reported that a wealthy and connected neighbor has put the kibosh on their use of the space because the music was too loud.  It is in a downtown urban setting with only a few folks living in the area but the neighbor is within earshot and has connections and now they are having trouble renting the space as planned. 

When a new museums is being developed and master planning is happening that is the time to set in place the needs for facility rental.  You can make some great accommodations in the architecture and exhibit layout that allow for better facility rental if planned from the start.  For instance making it possible to block-off, or segregate, back of house space from the "rental" space is critical.  I never ceased to be surprised when someone wandered into the exhibit shop late at night while looking for a toilet or a phone.  Signs that say "staff only" are not enough. And of course there are serious security issues if staff don't feel comfortable leaving valuables at their desks knowing anyone can wander in.  In order to make that work, things like emergency exit routes, restrooms and storage (chairs and tables) need to be planned well.   If you have to put three extra people on duty for the rental just to keep an eye on things then the profit goes down.

I would never discourage a museum from providing rental space. I believe it does more than just earn income.  It helps provide awareness to folks who may not otherwise visit and it can be a boost to the immediate community around the museum by bringing people in "after hours".  All good things.  
Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746
512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2