Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:34:01 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Lindzy,

Chabot is doing a lot of programming in this area. As Martin mentioned, the Bill Nye's Climate Lab exhibition is relevant. I can share some of our preliminary evaluation results with you off-list.  We're also currently working on a project focused on transportation choices and behavior change. I'm happy to chat, and/or put you in touch with other members of our staff if you'd like more info.

Regards,

Tamara

--

Tamara Schwarz, Senior Manager of Experience Design

Chabot Space & Science Center

p: 510.336.7349

e: [log in to unmask]

www.chabotspace.org

From: Informal Science Education Network [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chuck Howarth [[log in to unmask]]

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 9:45 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Steve van Matre wrote a book in the 1970's about how to engage children (and adults) with nature.  His idea is that people need first to connect on an emotional and sensory level before they are ready to be good stewards.  The book describes a whole series of multisensory experiences, such as blindfold walks in the woods, that are designed to make those connections.  I have always thought his book was a great model for museums because of its emphasis on affective outcomes and sensory experiences, both of which we are good at rather than on specific content or knowledge.  Van Matre's book is Acclimitization.

Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods makes a similar point.  He notes that any elementary school child today can opine on the fate of the tropical rainforest, but most have no idea what lives in their own back yard.  Both books are about the central importance of immersion in the natural world.  Stewardship comes from love of nature.

These ideas are not necessarily easy to translate into indoor exhibits.  In wrestling with that problem, I am often reminded of Joni Mitchell's lyric:  "Take all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum, then you charge the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em."   I do think we have to be careful about understanding the role of exhibits in nature education.  It isn't (or shouldn't be) about bringing the outdoors inside, but just the reverse:  helping visitors develop skills that they can later use outdoors.  In this model the exhibit is just one part of the visitor's larger experience of the world.  A trip to REI is not the same experience as climbing a mountain, but it might help you get there.

On Nov 21, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Erich Rose wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

> *****************************************************************************

>

> Lindzy,

>

> I am also very interested in this topic.  I am working with a local nature preserve and part of their mission is to instill "stewardship" for the land and ecology.  But, despite all the great exhibits and activities on recycling, ecology, pollution, etc., that one term: STEWARDSHIP, has eluded us.  They have a small visitor space (physical and temporal) and we need ideas that are short and succinct.

>

> Erich Rose

>

> Erich Rose Design

> 807 The Living End

> Austin, TX 78746

> 512-626-9930; [log in to unmask]

>

>

>

>

> On Nov 20, 2011, at 2:15 PM, Bivings, Lindzy wrote:

>

>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

>> *****************************************************************************

>>

>> Greetings All,

>>

>> I am in the process of planning a Science and Sustainability Family Science Night. One of out top goals is to promote pro-environmental behavior change.

>>

>> As I look through the literature I am seeing very little reference to research or evaluation done on this topic. In fact the only journal article referencing this based on Disney's Conservation Station within Animal Kingdom. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, or with an appropriate search term, so I am hoping to get some help from you all. I know proving that change happened based on a one-time experience is difficult, but does that mean no one is trying this?

>>

>> Have you done programming focused on pro-environmental behavior change? I'd love to hear about your experiences, thoughts or perspectives on this idea.

>>

>> Cheers,

>>

>> Lindzy Bivings

>> Manager of Enhanced Museum Visits for Students

>> California Academy of Sciences

>> T: (415) 379-5188

>> F: (415) 379-5711

>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

>> www.calacademy.org/teachers/rockprogram<x-msg://21/www.calacademy.org/teachers/rockprogram>

>>

>> New! Family Science Blog<http://www.calacademy.org/teachers/families/>

>> http://www.calacademy.org/teachers/families/

>>

>> ***********************************************************************

>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

>>

>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

>>

>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

>>

>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

>> [log in to unmask]

>

> ***********************************************************************

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

>

> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

>

> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

>

> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

> [log in to unmask]

Chuck Howarth, Vice President

G Y R O S C O P E I N C

283 Fourth Street, Suite 201

Oakland, CA 94607

tele:   510.986.0111

web:  www.gyroscopeinc.com

blog:  http://museums-now.blogspot.com

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2