ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Adela Elwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:54:19 -0500

I have to agree with Erich: it IS a matter of budget for small
centers! Very few funders will support travel unless one is making a
presentation relative to a grant. We (my husband and I) pay our own
way to ASTC and regard it as a vacation, but we get so much out of it
that it becomes incredibly worthwhile. We have tried to get all of
our staff to attend ASTC, but the only time we succeeded in getting
all but one of our eight permanent staff there at the same time was
when it was in St. Paul, which is drive-able from Bemidji (240
miles). Air fares and registration fees usually kill our attempts,
though over the years all of us have been to at least one. If I had
the funding, I would try to get at least two staff members to every
ASTC annual gathering. When only one staff person returns with the
enthusiasm generated by contact with other ASTC folks, the reality of
his or her budgetary and temporal limits soon sink in. Two people can
attend more sessions and support each other's enthusiasm- and ignite
the potential flame that other staff members so often hide.

I agree that it would be most beneficial for Board members to attend,
but they should be there long enough to get the real flavor of the
meetings. They should attend not only board-related sessions such as
those related to budgets and governance, but those relating to
special interests or weaknesses of the institutions they represent.
Some of the board members I've talked to at ASTC have been there only
long enough to put in an appearance at a special dinner or meeting.
This would be difficult, because so many board members have regular
jobs, as all of ours do. Very few of our Board members could easily
afford to pay their own way and all have employment and family issues
to consider, though they are very dedicated to our center!

ASTC attendance is, I suspect, most beneficial for those employed in
small, isolated centers as well as those newly employed by a museum/
center, for contact with staff members from other centers of all
sizes provides a vision of what changes may make one's own center
more effective and exciting. The joy of finding so many people in one
place with so many varied  intelligences but similar ideas,
frustrations, and lofty goals is truly invigorating. This list-serve
is great- and very helpful (and too time-consuming)- but it's so much
more effective and enriching to be able to talk eye-ball to eye-ball
with other museum/center enthusiasts. ASTC contacts facilitated our
beginning 14 years ago and have continued to help us bring about some
wonderful changes in serving our visitors more effectively.

Laddie Elwell
Executive Director
Headwaters Science Center
Bemidji, MN