Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:52:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (86 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Lisa:

Re: "Yes, we can find evidence that evolution occurs. But why? Now THAT's the question! Because of natural selection (one theory). Because of "intelligent design?" (another possible theory ??)" 

I like to throw in a distinction: There's WHY and there's HOW. The theory of natural selection explains how, but so far as I can tell doesn't get into why. On the other hand, intelligent design looks to explain why, but is thin on how. It's been my experience that most "why" questions in science are actually "how" questions, because their answers are explained through phenomena or fall back on the most basic of assumptions. (e.g., "Why does the piece of metal stick to the nails with the wire wrapped aound it?" is explained by "how" an electromagnet works. Does anybody really know why? Laws of physics may describe it, but they don't assign purpose.)

Best regards,

Charlie
Charles Stout
Media Arts Manager
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
Ann Arbor, MI

-----Original Message----- 
To: [log in to unmask] 
Sent: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:32:16 -0400 
Subject: Re: ethics and science centers - query 

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers 
 Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions. 
  ***************************************************************************** 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we condemn people who don't believe that natural selection and related theories explain biological change over time, or to establish a moral hierarchy among believers in various world views. I think it is both fair and maybe necessary to point out the power of the scientific explanation and its differences from religious explanations. 

On a related topic, a colleague of mine, a biologist, surveyed teachers and students to see the extent to which they distinguish between "evolution" which he calls a phenomenon, and "natural selection" which he calls a theory. I think that is the terminology he uses, and it is an interesting distinction for me. I think it is going to be published in a peer reviewed journal soon, so I'm not sure if I can share the paper, but I will ask him if anyone is interested. 

I think the question of environmentalism is kind of a done deal, every informal or formal educational institution seems to accept that human caused environmental degradation is both a fact and something that should be minimized or reversed if possible. 

Eric Siegel 
Executive VP 
Programs and Planning 
New York Hall of Science 
47-01 111th Street 
Queens, NY 11368 
esiegel at nyscience dot org 

On Apr 13, 2005, at 7:58 PM, Lisa Jo Rudy wrote: 

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology > Centers 
 > Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related > institutions. 
 > *********************************************************************** > ****** 
> 
 > With all the conversation going on about evolution and the > importance/meaning of science, I'd be interested in museum > professionals' take on the questions -- 
> 
 > should science centers take moral positions on issues in which they > are involved? If so, what should those moral positions be? Should > all ASTC institutions share the same moral positions? 
> 
 > For example -- do ASTC institutions have a moral obligation to take a > stand on evolution? Or should they simply clarify the difference > between evolutionary theory as a scientific concept and creationism as > a religious concept)? Should ASTC institutions take an ethical stand > on topics like cloning, global warming, etc. -- or is their purpose to > engage visitors in non-judgemental exploration of scientific topics, > and to help visitors better understand the scientific method without > reference to ethics one way or another? 
> 
> (just keeping the conversation lively!!) 
> 
 > *********************************************************************** 
 > More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the 
 > Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at > http://www.astc.org. 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the 
> message SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 
> [log in to unmask] 
> 

More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the 
 Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org. 
To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the 
message SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 
[log in to unmask] 

message SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 
[log in to unmask] 

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2