ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Charles Stout)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:52:31 -0400

Lisa:

Re: "Yes, we can find evidence that evolution occurs. But why? Now THAT's the question! Because of natural selection (one theory). Because of "intelligent design?" (another possible theory ??)"

I like to throw in a distinction: There's WHY and there's HOW. The theory of natural selection explains how, but so far as I can tell doesn't get into why. On the other hand, intelligent design looks to explain why, but is thin on how. It's been my experience that most "why" questions in science are actually "how" questions, because their answers are explained through phenomena or fall back on the most basic of assumptions. (e.g., "Why does the piece of metal stick to the nails with the wire wrapped aound it?" is explained by "how" an electromagnet works. Does anybody really know why? Laws of physics may describe it, but they don't assign purpose.)

Best regards,

Charlie
Charles Stout
Media Arts Manager