ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:27:13 +0000

At 03:06 22/02/2007, Janine Prillaman wrote:

>You can find small solar ovens for sale and have the visitors cook something
>or check the temperature.  I am not sure who sells them, but I have seen the
>demonstation using hotdogs.

Here's how you can run a workshop with school classes or science
centre visitors easily making their own solar sausage cookers. I've
published my own 'Silver Flower' solar cooker invention as a
downloadable PDF file. It includes a cut-out template and full
instructions and is free of charge.

There is a download link on this page.

http://www.interactives.co.uk/minds_workshops_solar.htm

To make it, you just use my template to cut out six 'petal' shapes
from shiny, foil-covered cardboard, then join them together at the
marked positions using split metal paper fasteners. I calculated the
joining positions very carefully so the cardboard reflectors are
pulled together into a dished shape. A wooden 'stem' is attached to
this silver flower shape and pushed into the ground with the
reflector aimed at the sun.

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell