ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. John Lor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 11:10:25 -0500

Good morning.

I have a question to ask all of you in relation to old taxidermy
specimens that were made with arsenic.

We are planning on exhibiting many of our taxidermy bird specimens in
our upcoming show. Many of these birds were preserved in arsenic and
also smell of moth balls. We plan on showing them without a case but
with stanchions so visitors cannot get close to the birds and many "do
not touch" signs. As far as condition goes, they are in good condition
and in one piece.

Should we be wise to have these birds displayed in a case as opposed to
no case at all? We do not have enough cases for all of our birds, nor do
we have cases big enough for some of our larger birds, such as a
flamingo and a golden eagle with its wings stretched out. What would be
the best possible route, and affordable, for us to take in displaying
old taxidermy birds?

Thank you,

John

K. John Lor

Traveling Exhibitions Registrar

Berkshire Museum

39 South St (Route 7)
Pittsfield, MA  01201
413-443-7171 ext. 29

413-443-2135 (fax)

Under the Big Top: Festival of Trees 2011 at Berkshire Museum

Friday, November 18, 2011, to Monday, January 2, 2012

Discover dazzling trees and circus fun for all ages!

Proudly sponsored by Greylock Federal Credit Union

For more information, please visit www.berkshiremuseum.org
<http://www.berkshiremuseum.org/>