ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:39:21 -0500

I think it's important to remember that (even in Science Centers) some jobs
are more fun than others.  If we want our visitors to be happy and engaged
in their experience, then we need to be intentional about enhancing the
experience and satisfaction of our floor staff as well. Yes, we should
expect them to conduct themselves professionally - no question. We also need
to keep our eye on the "job satisfaction" ball, for everyone's benefit.

Jim Taylor
Vice President of Programs & Exhibits
The Health Adventure
P.O. Box 180
Asheville, NC 28802
828-254-6373 Ext. 313
www.thehealthadventure.org

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it. Aristotle

institutions.
*

OK, I have to put my two cents in.  Joe, I am very sorry, but I think the
attitude of letting employees choose what aspects of their job they want to
do is a slippery slope.  We all have aspects of our jobs that we do not
enjoy/like.  But that doesn't mean we are any less responsible for those
aspects.  Just because our work environments are more casual doesn't mean we
should be any less professional.  And it doesn't do our employees any
justice in setting expectations low, which you do when employees don't have
to fulfill all their job requirements.  And what happens to those employees
when they move to a different job/workplace where that attitude is not
tolerated?  Expecting staff to fulfill all their job requirements, no matter
how little they enjoy doing them, increases the professionalism of the
science center and the individual employee.

I think we all are very lucky that we enjoy our jobs at science centers,
much more than most people, and that the not-so-fun aspects play a very
small part in our otherwise fun jobs.

-Elizabeth Wiles
Science on the Go! Supervisor
Pacific Science Center