ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:02:29 -0700

Thanks Eric,
That one got a rise out of me!  Absolutely hilarious, and very inappropriate, indeed .  This one may make the Press in China, as another example of western decadence.  And may foster within me a renewed consideration of my earlier remarks about brevity limitations on the Listserve.
On Mar 31, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am curious about what first got Dawkins started, and what he thinks it takes to give young people the interest, energy, enthusiasm, and agency that encourages them to be interested in science.   Oliver Sacks talks intimately about this in Uncle Tungsten.  I think he was raised in a similar social/intellectual milieu to Dawkins (though Sacks went off the rails pretty thoroughly in his young adulthood).
>
> As I recall, in Sacks case a visit to the London Natural History Museum figured prominently in fostering an interest in chemistry.  I suspect that it is easier for people to understand how exposure to dinosaur bones and gems can start a lifelong interest than it is for them to understand how the kind of caricature of science center exhibits does the same.
>
> Speaking of which, I am sharing a deeply inappropriate but scathingly funny and accurate link from the Onion.  WARNING...VERY INAPPROPRIATE IMAGES!
>
> http://www.theonion.com/articles/robert-mapplethorpe-childrens-museum-celebrates-gr,31825/
>
> Eric
>
> On Mar 31, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>
> This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
> and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
> without the consent of the sender.

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own and should in no way be construed or attributed to the Exploratorium or related organization, and do not represent an institutional position.
Charles Carlson
http://blogs.exploratorium.edu/whyintercept/
Twitter: @charliec53
email: [log in to unmask]