ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:05:11 -0700

We love it, we hate it!  Computers and the internet is an integral part of our lives.  Energetically, how much does it cost:
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/10/26/pm-the-power-to-run-the-internet/

Keeping that computer longer may save as much as 1% of 2%.

Interesting story, tangentially relevant.
> We love it.  We hate it.  We use it.  It has issues.  It's Logger Pro!
>
> Both myself and my students have been frustrated recently by Logger
> Pro.  I thought I'd open a thread on issues, hacks, fixes or
> breakthroughs with Logger Pro.  Anyone have anything to share?
>
> Currently, here's my problem: On most but not all of my computers,
> Logger Pro will lose contact with my Lab Pros after 30 seconds or so.
> Students then have to unplug and replug (or re-open a file) to get
> communication back.  They get one data run and then contact is lost
> again.  So it takes them 30-60 seconds to unplug-replug-wait between
> most data runs.  Ugh!
>
> The fact that the problem is not universal and comes and goes adds to
> the frustration.  I'm running Windows XP on reasonable 2-3 year old
> PCs.  Updating to the latest Logger Pro did not help.
>
> --Eric F.
>
> (One of the best contributions to education that Bill Gates could make
> would be to design an operating system that actually works!)
>
> --

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium