ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:51:40 -0400

Hi Michele,

I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, perception often trumps factual
information.

I had the occasion to speak with two of the world's foremost lice
researchers (at Harvard and the University of British Columbia) when trying
to diffuse a similar exhibit situation. It didn't matter that both of the
"experts" said hard plastic construction helmets couldn't possibly support
head lice --- a few board members stamping their feet shouted the exhibits
and education departments down.

The brief bottom line, based on lice abatement studies and research, is that
in the case of both plastic goggles and lab coats, head lice would not be an
issue.

Good luck trying to convince the teachers --- they honestly sound like they
are "itching" for a fight. (Sorry!)
Would they feel comfortable with just the hard plastic eye protectors?

If not, I might suggest focusing on "lice resistant" props and tools
(clipboards, magnifying lenses, etc.) that scientists might use rather than
articles of clothing.

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
World Headquarters
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

(516) 223-1043

POW! website
<http://www.orselli.net>

Exhibit tips + tricks at the ExhibiTricks blog:
<http://blog.orselli.net>

We are preparing to launch a mobile classroom and want to outfit the