ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:05:23 -0700

We have a few animals at Explora with the majority being utilized in
classroom programming (ex. Adaptations) or related to nearby exhibits
(ex. UV light).  We currently have a snake, a couple of lizards,
tarantula, scorpions, aquatic turtles, walking sticks, and fish.

Only the walking sticks are handled by visitors and with supervision
from staff.  Staff and interns are trained to handle the snake, lizards,
and tarantula.  Visitors may pet the snake and lizards but it is not
encouraged for the tarantula.  Volunteers don't handle the animals for a
variety of reasons including time of commitment and responsibility.

We limit handling of any animal to 2x per day for 20 minutes maximum.
My thought is that the comfort and safety of the animal are the primary
concerns.  An unhappy animal is not good for education.  A trained
handler knows the temperament of the animal (and maybe more importantly,
a trained animal knows the temperament of the handler), is familiar with
the museum and situations that generally arise there and can ensure
maximum comfort and safety for all participants in the interaction.

Eric Meyer
Projects/Explorations Manager
505-224-8386

explora