ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:46:39 -0400

The world science festival here in New York was an interesting
exercise in raising the visibility of science.  It was led by Dr.
Brian Greene, the string theory public science person (if that is not
a contradiction) who wrote The Elegant Universe.  He recruited a real
boatload of nobel prize winners and eminent scientists of all
stripes.  I went to a reception at the Natural History Museum after
the World Science Summit at which there were supposedly 40 Nobel
Laureates.  The whole thing was very high-end, geared toward a very
sophisticated audience.  The family attractions were pretty minimal,
relegated to one day in Washington Square Park.

It was a little sobering to see how the informal science institutions
in NYC were marginal to this whole undertaking.  The Hall of Science
had some role, as did AMNH and Liberty.  The zoos, botanical gardens,
etc were nowhere to be seen.  Part of it was logistical and financial,
as the festival was determined to make itself felt in one locale, and
that was NYU.  But overall, there was much more of an emphasis on
university based science and education on the one hand, and cultural
programming by the Guggenheim and some other relatively "blue chip"
cultural groups.

The festival gathered considerable attention due to its star power
(Alan Alda, Oliver Sacks, and Brian Greene himself).  It will be
interesting to see how it evolves.

Eric Siegel
Director and Chief Content Officer
New York Hall of Science