ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alix Cotumaccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:36:20 +0000

I am putting together a session on the use of education "pipelines" in science centers.  Ideally, it would explore how a handful of science centers (including AMNH) have addressed the need for a more science-literate public and a greater number of science professionals through voluntary learning pipelines that provide thoughtfully designed, engaging and rigorous science education.  Some of the questions this session could answer include: how does an educational pipeline get built, what are some different architectures, what are the downsides, and how can an institution build a curricula tailored to the learning needs of each grade level while building upon content and skills as youth progress through the pipeline.

At AMNH, we have an education pipeline that provides exceptional training in the sciences for students from age 2, in our Science and Nature Program, through postgraduate studies, at the Gilder Graduate School or through our new Masters in Teaching Earth Science program.  However, in this session I would specifically focus on the section of the education pipeline serving youth since that is my "domain."  We have focused on building a cohesive set of programs that attracts students at various entry points and retains them through progressively more challenging and focused programming.

Any of you have a similar "pipeline" of programs, and interested in collaborating on this session? You can message me off list, or respond here.

Cheers,
Alix
--
Alix Cotumaccio