ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:10:33 -0500

I agree with Evan on the Indian spice. A surprising number of people also
seem to like the smell of curries and ethnic foods. I'm not one of them and
I don't like how long they seem to linger in the house but it's worth
considering possible negative reactions.

Sulphur is the smell I can't stand when I drive through industrial towns but
I'm not sure if you get that smell with landfills.

I'm often reminded of the garbage smell when my garbage can in the kitchen
is a week old and I've put a lot of food into it. Perhaps a garbage can in
the form of "Oscar the Grouch" might work. When you take off the lid, the
smell propogates through the room.

Litter boxes are a good source of the stinky-poo smell! Kittens seem to make
far stronger stinks that adult cats.

Along with the disgusting tastes of the jelly beans in Harry Potter (that
the Jelly Belly company now produces in the real world) I believe there were
also bad smells that were a result of failed experiments in the Potions &
Spells class.

You may find some ideas in books on Medieval Times - when dead people rotted
in the streets, people rarely bathed, there was little plumbing, and so on.
It would be interesting to reproduce what an entire city, like London, may
have smelt like in those days. Thank god for the Romans!

These books may also have some good ideas:

Oh, Yuck: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Yuck-Encyclopedia-Everything-Nasty/dp/0761107711/

Grossology and You
http://www.amazon.com/Grossology-You-Sylvia-Branzei/dp/0843177365/

(there's a whole series of the Grossology books)

What's That Awful Smell?
http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Awful-Smell-Heather-Tekavec/dp/0142405868/

(this only deals with the smell of a "liver, onion, and tuna fish sandwich")

Why is this so fun to think about?!

Amanda

***

Amanda Chesworth