ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:08:40 -0600

<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>What experience have people had using art materials in galleries, such as
>glue sticks and scissors.  We are planning a workstation in one of our
>galleries--it will be the only thing in the gallery--where visitors can
>make
>their own art postcard and "mail it"  to local artists who will answer
>their
>questions. We are considering collage as art form for postcard and
>wondered
>if it is absolutely crazy to have scissors and glue sticks in bins for
>visitors to use.  This will not be staffed workstation.

Knowing our visitorship, we'd never consider doing something like that.
Scissors & glue sticks would walk away, scissors might be used to damage
exhibits, and we'd end up with glue everywhere.  I would also worry about
sending "art" through the mail - if edges aren't securely fastened in a
collage, the postcards might get stuck in the mail sorting machines.
You'd either have a lot of angry postal clerks whose machines will get
jammed or would make extra work for your staff having to trim postcard
edges and/or glue down pieces of the collage due to little hands who
couldn't do it well prior to mailing.

Just some thoughts.  We wish we could do something like this, but the
realities of the situation beg for much caution.

Michelle

Michelle Nichols, Senior Educator
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.